In 2004, a group of parents and professionals from the medical, behavioural therapy, business strategy and media fields identified the need for affordable, best-practice, early intervention Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA) therapy for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in Australia. Having witnessed ABA’s high effectiveness in treating children with ASD, and its very high costs, they became determined to find a way to make ABA affordable for Australian children on the spectrum.
Their answer was to create the not-for-profit Learning for Life Autism Centre (L4Life). Its mission: to provide the highest standard of ABA-based services to help children with ASD and their families reach their full potential, regardless of their financial circumstances.
At Learning for Life, we aim to accomplish this by:
- providing autism services that address the multiple needs of children with ASD and their families:
- Early Intensive Behavioural Intervention (EIBI) ABA programs via our Full-Service and Consultancy models.
- A School Behavioural Support program.
- The Secret Agent Society Social Skills program to improve the emotional understanding and social skills of 8 to 12 year olds with high-functioning ASD.
- Psychological services/assessments
- Parent training
- making our EIBI ABA programs accessible to financially disadvantaged families by subsidising them, as much as possible, with funds raised from events, grants and private donations. We also endeavour to keep our service fees as low as possible.
- advocating for increased public and private sector support for ABA through research on our outcomes and by partnering with other Australian ABA organisations, and
- training aspiring therapists in best-practice ABA therapy delivery and creating an enduring career path for them.
For more information, please contact us at (03) 9836 5516.
To learn more about us and about the children and families who inspire us in our work, please watch our 10th Anniversary video.